I really like wearing dresses but have never really wear as many of them as I would like because logistics of them with diabetes can lead to some embarrassing moments. When on injections I found doing injections discreetly when out quite difficult as hiking up your dress to get to a stomach site at the dinner table tends to be frowned upon! This meant trotting off to the loo to do an injection whilst everyone else digs into their meal, definitely not ideal.
Moving over to a pump there came the problem of where on earth can I put this thing and still access it in a dress (this is where remote connections would be useful!).
Theres the spibelt option which I used, this is fine and well hidden up until it comes to accessing the thing, some shuffling and catching of the pump is done which takes some time.
Theres the thigh garter which is again fine apart from the square lump on your leg, the occasional pulling it back up my leg and again access to it.
|Dress with Pocket,|
pump can't be seen.
So diabetes and dresses don't mix right? Wrong! I found a solution for my dresses. Seeing as most of my dresses are fairly flowy with a full skirt, I thought pockets might work. And they did!
So following this tutorial I added my first pockets in the seams of one of my dresses. I then added a buttonhole to the pockets (probably best done before sewing them in instead of after!) and the lining of the dress so I could thread the tubing through. Although I would suggesting measuring the size of the little clippy bit that attaches to the site as one of them was too small and I needed to redo it :(
The pockets in my dress turned out well and they can't be seen even with my pump in one of them. I will be adding them to all of my others :)
|Inside the pocket|
I'm now off to buy more dresses to add pockets to after!
I just wanted an excuse to use my sewing machine and this lovely fabric!